Skip to main content

Seasons End: The Tale of a Dallas Cowboys fan ~ Heavenly Lake Tahoe ~ Pro Bowl & Super Bowl ~ Pudge Rodriguez

Random Info:
Heavenly... 

Yes, we're starting with the Random Info section today. It's a new year and the most exciting thing I have to talk about is my recent trip to Lake Tahoe with two of my friends. 

We planned a girls trip months ago, which ended up being the perfect week to get out of Dallas. 

The Cowboys lost On January 15th to the Green Bay Packers, and I flew out to Tahoe on the 17th. "Want to get away???" - Yes, yes I do. 

I had never been to Tahoe or anywhere in the Northwest besides Portland. I was excited and heard they were going to get a lot of snow!! Ideal conditions for any skiier or snowboarder. So I've dreamed... 

I arrived Tuesday, and it was perfect. My friend and I had dinner, I drug her to 10 different stores trying to decide on a new ski helmet to buy (renting one grosses me out), and then we made it back to our awesome hotel. 

Day 2, Blizzard. Seriously. We had the best breakfast and coffee time, then we head out to the Gondola and it's closed. We make it to the California side, get to the top of the second lift (sky) and they shut it down due to 45 mph winds. Now, I've been in a whiteout before, but this was craziness. They directed us to the Nevada side of Heavenly, which had two lifts open... so we tore it up. We were getting rained, sleeted and snowed on trying to get to the top of the mountain, but we still had a ton of fun! 

Day 3, snowboarding lessons. I've boarded twice before, but decided to try again. Why not? Well, why not is because it was still snowing, never stopped, and it was freezing. I stayed on the "Big Easy" lift and run with my instructor for most of the afternoon. It was a Green/Blue type run. Not too flat, but not as steep as a blue. I actually did well and was excited about boarding with my friend on Day 4.

Day 4... after a lovely evening with my two friends, great dinner and recovery time in the hot tub and doing laps in the heated swimming pool... another great breakfast with sourdough/egg/cheese sandwiches and coffee... my friend and I head to the top of the mountain to try snowboarding unleashed (she's a boarder, I am a skier, poor her). 

I only fell off the lift once on Day 3, so I had a small amount of confidence built up for this "do or die" type adventure. We hike in masses of snow to get to the lift. I'm not sure exactly how many inches they got while we were there, but if I said over a foot or two, I wouldn't feel badly for exaggerating. It was crazy!

First run, I get stuck on the left side of a blue and I can't get my board through the mass of powder...

Now let me explain something... normally, snow falls at night, they groom the slopes in the morning, the sun comes out and you glide through the fresh powder like a little gazelle. Ummm yea, not happening. There was no sun, no groomed slopes, and no stopping of the snow falling.

... as I realize I'm stuck, I unbuckle from my board. I know what happens when you step in deep snow, but for some reason I did it anyway. Snow up to my knees or higher. I step again, same thing. I'm not one for being trapped, confined or claustrophobic, so I may have had a minor panic attack and my friend patiently calmed me down from across the run. She put up with so much that day... I owe her for a long time!! 

Two more runs were semi-successful... then the falling began. Like, got some speed and tried to turn toe-side, a chunk of snow caught my board and I face/body-planted into the mountain. The last fall was a head flip. I now know why people wear helmets and how someone could get a concussion or worse.

But all in all... this was a GREAT trip!! I love the friends I was with, the town is adorable (Cali side), and the slopes were amazing, even if I only saw them in blizzard conditions. I hope to go back one day, but maybe with a little less snow.










#hugsomeone
#heavenly
#snowsnowsnowsnowsnow

GO COWBOYS!!!

Seasons End... 

As pathetic as it sounds, I originally suggested that my friends and I come back from our trip on Saturday, because I was sure the Cowboys would be playing on Sunday, January 22nd, and I didn't want to be on a plane while they took on Atlanta. 

Like I said earlier, timing always works out. There were more hazardous conditions coming for Tahoe, and I had a day to do laundry and watch the Green Bay Packers get WHOOPED by Atlanta. I mean, c'mon man!!! That was ridiculous. Put up a fight or something. Make us feel like we lost for a reason. I'm not even going to bring up the refs. Nope, not gonna do it. But Kansas City fans weren't too happy with the refs either. Just sayin'. 

Who's to say that we wouldn't have been crushed too by Matty "Ice" and that Atlanta offense. I heard a stat that their O-line has had the same 7 dudes rotating the entire season. No injuries. No one has been out of a game. That is unheard of in the NFL. But props to them and their game plan. 

Super Bowl Sunday, February 5th... 5:30 PM CST, on FOX. 

The Atlanta Falcons now play the New England Patriots in the Super BowlI know, you're shocked. The Patriots are in the Super Bowl. It's like spotting a white Toyota Prius. Oh wait, they're everywhere. 

I'm a fan of the Super Bowl. Biggest game of the year. And if you know me, I am not a Super Bowl party goer. I do not understand gathering for the biggest game of the year with other individuals who do not care at all about football or the two teams playing. I'm not a fan of either of these teams, but by golly I will listen to the commentary and watch the two BEST teams in the NFL battle it out for the Championship title. I don't want the game muted and the super bowl commercials turned up loudly so people can laugh at something that's probably not as funny as the $4.5 million they paid for it. 

I promise I'm not a party pooper. I love parties. And people. I'm just a fan of having a football watching party pre-season through week 16, well 17 including the bye weeks. The Playoffs and Super Bowl are sacred. That's all. 

So what now Cowboys fans? 

Well, we will put up with a lot of Tony Romo speculation in the off-season, media and Jerry Jones driven, of course. As I've mentioned before; I'm confident that whatever is best for him and his family, he will do. 

I am about 95% sure the Cowboys are keeping Dak Prescott as their starter. So, if Romo wants to start next year, he will have to go to another team. 

Elliott needs to stay out of trouble in the off-season. Homedude seems to be out and about in Dallas a lot. Not Manziel style, but he's been seen in around, Dak too. Keep it classy fellas. We have a lot to build on next year. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. 

Pro Bowl love for the Cowboys... 

The seasons isn't over for 6 of our players... 5 original selections and then Sean Lee was added last week because Carolina Panthers Luke Kuechly is injured. 


Dak Prescott, QB
Ezekiel Elliott, RB
Tyron Smith, O-Line
Travis Frederick, O-Line
Zack Martin, O-Line
Sean Lee, Linebacker

I originally thought that the Pro Bowl was in Hawaii, it normally is, but this year it is in Orland, Florida. Disney World to be exact. They've been discussing for years to make this more entertaining for fans, Disney World must fit the bill. 

Here's the Pro Bowl Schedule. They added a skills challenge, similar to the NBA All-Star game. I like this idea. 

And here is a clip of Dak Prescott mic'd up at practice

Game Time... this Sunday, January 29th, 7 PM CST, ESPN. 

Dallas Fans... this is your off-season. This is the few weeks you have to take a vacation. If you need to get married, have a baby, write a book, I suggest you accomplish that in-between Mavs games and before April 3rd, Texas Rangers Opening Day. Live it up! 

#offseason
#dallascowboys
#CowboysNation
#ilovefootball


GO RANGERS!!!

Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez, was voted into the MLB Hall of Fame on his first try. 

If you don't know who this is, read this article. It explains why he meant so much to baseball, to catchers, to the Texas Rangers and to Puerto Rico. 

Growing up, my family went to Rangers game. They were affordable, you can bring your own food into the stadium, we love baseball/softball and they were fun.

One of my sister's loved Pete Incaviglia, but who didn't love Pudge. He was number 7. I know most people think you only choose 7 in sports because it's in the Bible. It is in the Bible, and it is significant, but it was also Pudge's number, and that may have had something to do with it for some of us kids. If I couldn't be 7 in softball or volleyball, I was 14 or 21, multiples of 7.

I never played catcher, but I have to think I learned more about the dual between pitchers and catchers by watching Nolan Ryan and Pudge as a tandem. Or hearing my dad talk about them? My mom played catcher when my parents played softball as adults. My dad pitched, but he always did that overhand flip the wrist thing. Ha! Had backspin on the ball. I wasn't that good at hitting it, but he was a great pitcher. 

Needless to say, Pudge is a celebrity in Texas. He seems like a very genuine person, played with passion and respected the game. He mentions in the article I linked to that he was most proud of his defense. I love it when people can be humble yet confident, and know what they are good at. Good job Pudge. You did a great job on the field, and it is wonderful to still have you with the Rangers organization! 

July 30th is the induction ceremony in Cooperstown, NY. It would be so cool to be there! 

#mlbhof
#cooperstown
#texasrangers
#nevereverquit

~smile~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirk Nowitzki ~ Dallas Cowboys Free Agency ~ Texas Rangers ~ Selection Sunday ~ Loveland, CO

GO MAVS!!! 27-36  (wins - losses) Dirk, Dirk, he's our man... if he can't do it... no one can!!!  Well, only 5 other guys can and have.  Dirk is now 6th on the all time list of NBA players to score 30,000 points . This is a crazy accomplishment. He's played over 1,300 games in his 19 year career with the Dallas Mavericks.  His commitment to this team and to our city has been life changing for many. He does a lot in our community through the Dirk's Heroes Foundation . Fundraising and giving grants to non-profits in our community and around the world that are making an impact in the lives of children and families in need.  Back in the day, the Mavs games were fun to watch with the " Three J's " - but we didn't win a lot, and we never thought we would make it to the playoffs consistently, much less to the NBA Finals. ( Three J's: Jimmy Jackson, Jamal Mashburn, Jason Kidd - here's a funn

Week 11: Baltimore Ravens vs. Dallas Cowboys ~ Mavs ~ Gift Guide for Black Friday

GO COWBOYS!!! 8-1 1st in the NFL (I've died and gone to Heaven) 1st in the NFC EAST Sunday, November 20th Baltimore Ravens vs. Dallas Cowboys  (home team is second) 12:00 PM CST on CBS First things first... the Cowboys are playing amazing football right now! Even sportscasters who don't like the Cowboys can't stop talking about them.  I mentioned last week that we are the most balanced team in the league. When your Offense and Defense share an even amount of time on the field, it is easier to stay fresh and productive. If you leave your D out there too long, they're bound to make mistakes. So even with our Offense being as productive as they are, they are still staying on the field long enough to keep it balanced.  The Cowboys have a total of 219 first downs this season and lead the league at Offensive time of possession, 33:39 minutes ( an NFL football game is made up of 4 quarters, 15 minutes each, a total of 60 minutes ).  Ton

POSTSEASON BASEBALL: Toronto Blue Jays vs. Texas Rangers ~ Baseball Etiquette ~ Dallas Cowboys Over-reaction Tuesday

GO RANGERS !!! ALDS PLAYOFFS - THIS THURSDAY It's official... we are playing the Toronto Blue Jays in the ALDS.  Dang it.  I can't stand the Blue Jays. They have trashy fans. No, literally, they throw trash on the field .  And Jose Bautista is a punk. No one needs your bat flippin' drama!  And we all remember this... Odor punching Bautista earlier this year. Watch . All the sports people are going to have a field day over this. I bet they wish they had given us the evening time slots now! Except that Toronto's TV ratings don't count, eh?  How we win... stay focused. Eliminate the drama. We beat them during the regular season. We can do it again. No hitting batters, no one getting ejected. We need our entire roster in the ALCS. We need to play Texas Ranger baseball. Period. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Games 1 and 2 are this Thursday at 3:30 PM and Friday at Noon in Arlington, TX. Games 3 and 4 are Sunday and Monday in Toronto.   No,